This exercise looks at moving through text in an EVE session.
- Edit TEST1.TXT and enter the following text:
This is a file of text. It will be used in the
third practical of this workshop. The topic of
this workshop is the EVE editor. EVE is a DEC
- Save this text using the WRITE command.
- Move around the file using the cursor keys and the TOP and
Use Ctrl/E and Ctrl/H to move to the
start and end of a line.
- Split the text such that each sentence begins on a new line.
- Go to the top of the file and use MOVE BY LINE to go down the
Now use MOVE BY LINE to go up the file.
- Use FIND to locate every occurrence of is.
- Place a mark at the start of the last sentence.
Move to the top of the file and return to the mark using GO TO .
- Use LINE to move to the second line in the file.
- Restore the text to its original form, shown in step 1,
without leaving EVE.
- Use Ctrl/U to remove the first sentence and the
DELETE key to remove the last sentence.
- Assume that steps 3 to 10 were mistakes. Correct this by
leaving EVE with the QUIT command.
Adrian P Robson