It is sometimes necessary to view or edit files that are more
than 80 columns wide.
If a line is too long to fit on the screen, the visible
end will be marked with a diamond character.
These commands move the horizontal position of the current
- Movement is specified as a number of columns.
- Movement is relative to the current position.
- The content and layout of the text being viewed is not
This command sets the width of the screen display:
- The width is specified as number of columns.
- Maximum width (on VT320 terminals) is 132 columns.
- Wide carriage computer listings have 132 columns.
- The standard setting is 80.
- In practice, widths other than 80 and 132 are of little use.
Adrian P Robson